Pages

Sunday 30 September 2012

Anime North 2012 Lolita Cosplay Costume


Wanted to share this costume because I made it myself and feel pretty proud. I took some pictures inside the Toronto Congress Center - one of the 4 buildings in which Anime North was held. 



Photo creds to Calvin :)

Work in progress
My Singer sewing machine :)
                     
Inspiration

Parasol and the top hat both bought at the convention for $15 each.

I made this costume for the 2012 Anime North convention - one of the biggest in Canada. I've been going there for 4 years and it's a lot of fun. I am not that into anime or manga, but many of my friends are, so I just go to hang out with them. 
But my favourite part about Anime North is watching all the Japanese Lolita cosplayers. I really like the Sweet Lolita style because it's very girly and colourful. The dresses are always embellished with ruffles, frills, and bows. And I am all for embellishments! 

So this year, I really wanted to cosplay as a Lolita myself. I was inspired by Chii's style from the anime Chobits. I didn't like the show that much, but I love various artwork that came from it. Chobits artwok by fans or by CLAMP are always so beautifully done with Chii wearing gorgeous dresses. And Chii's style is pretty Lolita-like. Anyways, I bought the pink satin fabric from Fabricland - a chain fabric store in Canada. Its right side was satin and its back side was like a fuzzy cotton texture. I ended up using the back side because I read on a website that authentic Lolita dresses are made of cotton. And shiny dresses are looked down upon because they resemble cheap Halloween costumes. I agree that shiny clothes do look cheap. :P It was many hours of hard labour to make this dress including the arm bands, but it was worth it. I felt more emerged in the atmosphere when I am among the dressed up cosplayers. Can't wait for next year's convention!

No comments:

Post a Comment